In the LDS Church, infants are given a name and a blessing. Here's one of the official descriptions of that priesthood ordinance (taken from
here):
Naming and Blessing Children
“Every member of the church of Christ having children is to bring
them unto the elders before the church, who are to lay their hands upon
them in the name of Jesus Christ, and bless them in his name” (Doctrine and Covenants 20:70).
When blessing a baby, men who hold the Melchizedek Priesthood gather
in a circle and hold the baby in their hands. The
person who gives the blessing:
-
1. Addresses Heavenly Father.
-
2. States that the blessing is given by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.
-
3. Gives the child a name.
-
4. Gives a priesthood blessing as the Spirit directs.
-
5. Closes in the name of Jesus Christ.
Our baby James received his name and a blessing this Thanksgiving weekend. Both sets of grandparents had driven across the country to be present for the holiday and the blessing, and I loved having so much family around for so long. My mom made James' blessing outfit while she was here. Darling, isn't he?


Bobby gave James the blessing, as he did for Alice and Robert. I can only imagine the pressure one feels to give his own child a blessing from God as directed by the Spirit. I, personally, would want to cram all kinds of special gifts and blessings into that occasion. I would plan the list of blessings and work on the eloquent wording for weeks. Bobby doesn't suffer from the same greediness. He's significantly more humble than I am :) James' blessing, like the blessings for Alice and Robert, was short, sweet, and completely clear. I was struck by how all my wishes and concerns for James' future were encompassed in one simple phrase that Bobby used, "I bless you to be a leader." That pretty much says it all. That's really what I want for each of my children. I want them to know the truth and have the confidence in themselves to do the right thing no matter what their friends might say. I want them to live responsibly. I want them to be respected and trusted and capable. A leader knows how to serve the people he/she leads. A leader understands compromise and empathy. All of these characteristics will work together towards a happier life. And I really want my children to be happy :)
Bobby also blessed James with a strong
testimony. Testimonies all start with the same foundation, but they grow in many different ways and come in many different flavors. Spiritual matters don't always come as easily to me as they do to Bobby. A testimony matures throughout one's life. For example, teaching the gospel out loud to my children has already refined my testimony a hundredfold. I look forward to helping James' testimony grow.
He is indeed darling! Look at that precious smile! What a treasure you two have in your home with those 3 beautiful children.
ReplyDelete