Wednesday, December 19, 2012

What to say?

It's been a while since I posted. I feel like I need to talk/think about something but I can't put my finger on it. A million little things have happened since James' 2-month check-up. I could play "catch up." Those aren't the most satisfying blog posts to write (or to read) so I'll spare you the frenzy. Since this is the moment I want to blog, then perhaps I'll fill you in on what's happening here at this moment...

James is asleep on the guest bed. I was back there making copies of a very excellent Christmas Advent program/binder my sister's friend put together for her. Robert was coloring and sharpening pencils to nubs. I just lay James down propped up on a pillow so he could watch us. Ten minutes later, without a fuss or whimper, he just fell asleep. Heidi didn't see James' mellow side while she was here last week. He was sick. We were all sick in sequence. She got the impression that he had to be in constant motion. He hasn't been like that since she left ;)

Robert is having quiet time in the bathroom. Yes, I know, it's a terrible idea. It didn't start out that way, I promise. He had to use the bathroom right before quiet time. I went with him and "assisted" with the wiping and such. Then he started his "playful avoidance with undercurrents of angry frustration" routine. You know, refusing to make choices, refusing to speak at all, just screaming and running with a half-laugh? That's the kind of behavior that yanks my "angry mama" lever to the max so I left before I got mad, telling him I'd be happy to come back when he was ready to wash his hands or put clothes on. Usually, he hates being alone, so that strategy works for both of us (yes, I've used it several times already). But this time, he started some imaginary game in the bathtub with bad guys and singing and lots of action. I'm kinda okay with that. I could wrestle him screaming into his room and leave him there until he cries himself to sleep, or I could leave him in the bathroom and enjoy this brief quiet time to myself (I'm lucky he doesn't play in the toilet like some 3-year-olds I know ;) ). James will only sleep for so long, after all. Ahhhhh, the choices that must be navigated by a mother of more than one kid. I'll confess that I was jealous of Heidi several times during her visit. She had only one kid to wrangle/manage/cajole/comfort/snuggle/attend to, and could do it with any amount of energy that she wanted to dish out. There was no fighting over laps and portions. No time outs for pestering. There are things I love about having three kids, and there are things I appreciate about having one at a time :)

Three squirrels are crawling all over my chicken pen looking for a way in. I let the ladies out to roam this morning and the squirrels wasted no time getting into the girls' food. I hate squirrels. I have to leave the pen open while the chickens are free-ranging so they can get back in to lay eggs or eat or drink as desired. So, if I want the girls to free-range, I have to feed the neighborhood squirrels, too. Well, at least until I get that chicken chunnel thing going. The chickens have almost stopped laying eggs altogether. I've collected two eggs over the last three days. If this were the peak of spring, I'd have collected twelve in the same amount of time. Artificial light should help with that, but can I manage that without running an extension cord across my backyard?

Well, James has woken up to eat again. Robert opened the bathroom door briefly and then closed it again after I asked him if he was ready to put on some clothes. I think I'll watch these squirrels while I nurse and pray they give up their searching before they discover that little gap in the pen door.

2 comments:

  1. When I was growing up, I remember my grandpa always kept three or four squirrel traps in the backyard. We would always go with him every so often to let them go in a field a couple miles away. He had a big garden and hated the squirrels, too.

    ReplyDelete