Sunday, July 7, 2013

Picts from California

Confession: I don't actually read those long, picture-filled blog posts about your vacations. I'm sorry. It's real life that draws me in, and travelogues don't often include the real life details and introspection that I crave. It shouldn't surprise you that I don't like to write travelogues, either, so I never end up writing about our travels...and then I forget about them.

So sad.

Where's the happy medium?!

Here is my attempt to share without overwhelming you with details. I'm also trying to leave myself clues so that when I read this again in 10 years, I'll be reminded of things that happened without having to trudge through my own boring travelogue :)

We traveled to California last week to visit friends. Actually, Bobby went to work at a conference in San Jose and I wrangled my mom into crashing with me at my friend's house for a week nearby. Three experienced mothers, eight kids, for most of every weekday. I liked those odds. We did some touristy stuff and lounged at home and attended church and shared some sort of sleeping fever sickness. I learned to play iPad games. I spent way too much time in traffic. I ate meals I didn't have to plan or shop for. My mom did the dishes. I got hours upon hours of catch-up conversation time with good friends and family. I did NOT take enough pictures. Here are a few keepers, though, mostly from our first two days there:

IMG_5083
Muir Woods

IMG_5073
Muir Woods

IMG_5069
Shuttle to Muir Woods

IMG_5060
Waiting to get on the shuttle to Muir Woods

IMG_5058
Waiting to get on the shuttle to Muir Woods

IMG_5115
Tilden Regional Park

IMG_5116
Tilden Regional Park

IMG_5109
Yes, he's playing in a sandbox in his Sunday clothes. After a day like that one, I was glad for the break.

IMG_5112
"Mommy, take a picture of this!" Robert's freaky Cheetos after our delicious tour of the Jelly Belly Factory.

Would I do it again? You bet. Would I pack carry-on only again? Maybe not. It would have been nice to take more Jelly Bellies home ;) And herding a curious 3-year-old (burdened with his own luggage) through airports and three kinds of public transport (while burdened down yourself with luggage and car seats and a baby strapped to your chest) is not a feat for the faint-hearted. The kids handled the trip remarkably well considering the 2-hour jet lag and many, many late nights. When we got there, they wanted to go home. When it was time to go home, they didn't want to leave.

Sounds about right for my kids :)

I know Rachel has posted some pictures on Facebook, but I would like copies of any photos anyone else took of us and you while we were visiting together. Pretty, pretty please.



No comments:

Post a Comment