This was a very odd week, although things are finally back to "normal" or at least something close to it. Last Sunday, like I said in my previous post, I got a kidney stone. It is the worst pain I have ever felt, tied with appendicitis. I have it from an authority on the matter, someone who has experienced both, that natural child birth is much worse than a kidney stone without drugs. As such I can sympathize with Susan better now, but still lack a complete empathy for her. On a very very strange twist, Monday my parents called and we chatted about how I was feeling. I asked if we had a family history of kidney stones and apparently we don't, but the very next day my father develops one too, and is still in the process of passing it, poor guy.
This week was James birthday too. He is growing up a lot, James feels like a real person now. He doesn't have a lot of words, but he is getting more and more every day. He can express his desires very clearly, and has a real personality that is all his own.
I think one of the best parts about this week is that it is General Conference for our church. This means that I didn't have to wake up at 5:30 to get to my early morning meeting. So I could sleep in until 6 when James usually starts yelling for Susan to come get him. After a while he will give up on her and start yelling for Alice-Buddy to come get him. I'm not sure why he doesn't yell for me, but he doesn't. It was good though, I got to make breakfast for the kids while Susan slept in, and I don't have a giant list of things I need to do today. There are a few, but I got enough Bishop stuff done yesterday that I feel OK relaxing a bit today. I still have plenty to do, but it feels like I can handle it. Not that I have everything figured out because I don't my any means, just that it doesn't feel like my life is careening out of control and all I can do is hold on.
Work was not helping there either. What I work on is an open source project that lets people process enormous amounts of data very very quickly. It is taking off a lot a Yahoo, and we are having a very hard time keeping up with all of the demand. Some of it is new feature work that has to be done so that some groups can adopt it. Some of it is bug fixes and hardening of it to make it more reliable for groups already using it. But things are starting to calm down there a bit too. It is a bit odd for me with this project as it is a real success. My career has been rather odd. I started out at Motorola working on a new phone platform, that was a lot like Android, but there were many issues, and the project was canceled, then resurrected again, and canceled again after shipping one phone. So during about 5 years at Motorola one phone shipped with a significant amount of code on it that I wrote, and several phones with a very hidden feature that probably no body has ever really used that I helped out with. At Yahoo! it was not all that different at the beginning. I started off doing helping on the search engine, which eventually got sold off to Microsoft sort of. Then I was working on a machine learning project that even the people who asked us to build it didn't want to use, so it too was canceled. After that I was put on a successful project, first one ever for me, Hadoop, but it was already successful before I joined. This new project is the first time that I have really had a successful project from the start. But now I feel extra responsibility in making sure it grows and meets the needs of people who want to adopt it. Sorry about the long explanation.
This week was James birthday too. He is growing up a lot, James feels like a real person now. He doesn't have a lot of words, but he is getting more and more every day. He can express his desires very clearly, and has a real personality that is all his own.
I think one of the best parts about this week is that it is General Conference for our church. This means that I didn't have to wake up at 5:30 to get to my early morning meeting. So I could sleep in until 6 when James usually starts yelling for Susan to come get him. After a while he will give up on her and start yelling for Alice-Buddy to come get him. I'm not sure why he doesn't yell for me, but he doesn't. It was good though, I got to make breakfast for the kids while Susan slept in, and I don't have a giant list of things I need to do today. There are a few, but I got enough Bishop stuff done yesterday that I feel OK relaxing a bit today. I still have plenty to do, but it feels like I can handle it. Not that I have everything figured out because I don't my any means, just that it doesn't feel like my life is careening out of control and all I can do is hold on.
Work was not helping there either. What I work on is an open source project that lets people process enormous amounts of data very very quickly. It is taking off a lot a Yahoo, and we are having a very hard time keeping up with all of the demand. Some of it is new feature work that has to be done so that some groups can adopt it. Some of it is bug fixes and hardening of it to make it more reliable for groups already using it. But things are starting to calm down there a bit too. It is a bit odd for me with this project as it is a real success. My career has been rather odd. I started out at Motorola working on a new phone platform, that was a lot like Android, but there were many issues, and the project was canceled, then resurrected again, and canceled again after shipping one phone. So during about 5 years at Motorola one phone shipped with a significant amount of code on it that I wrote, and several phones with a very hidden feature that probably no body has ever really used that I helped out with. At Yahoo! it was not all that different at the beginning. I started off doing helping on the search engine, which eventually got sold off to Microsoft sort of. Then I was working on a machine learning project that even the people who asked us to build it didn't want to use, so it too was canceled. After that I was put on a successful project, first one ever for me, Hadoop, but it was already successful before I joined. This new project is the first time that I have really had a successful project from the start. But now I feel extra responsibility in making sure it grows and meets the needs of people who want to adopt it. Sorry about the long explanation.
No comments:
Post a Comment