Friday, October 10, 2014

Buddy's Prayer

As we were getting the kids ready for school and preschool this morning, I reminded Buddy that he would get to take a field trip to the pumpkin patch next week with his class. He thought it was today, though, and started acting a little funny. He wanted to pick out extra-special socks. He prayed in family prayer, "Please bless me that I won't be scared with too many people at the pumpkin patch."

Too many people? I hear ya', Buddy. I'm impressed that he's in tune with his feelings enough to know that big groups make him uncomfortable. I'm relieved that he would think to pray for help. Most days, this kid is as loud and active as they come...at home. He teases his siblings and holds his own in a fight with them. I rarely see him with people he doesn't know so intimately. It's easy to forget that he can feel vulnerable.

He doesn't often pray for himself. In fact, he's more likely to pray for Peek-A-Boo than anyone else these days. So far, he's prayed for Peek-A-Boo to be healthy and strong and to grow up nice and to be a good dad.

I still wonder what the heck I'm going to write on his Kindergarten registration forms next summer...he's a bit more complicated than Alice was at this age.

No comments:

Post a Comment