Monday, March 14, 2016

Birthday Girl

Alice turned 9 today, thrilled to her toes. She insisted on doing things with a little more maturity.

She ate an "adult" portion of veggies at dinner and read an "adult" portion of the chapter during family scripture study (with great emphasis and feeling). Grinning. Delighted. So pleased.

She won't let me take a picture of her, though, so you'll just have to imagine her doing these things :)

Our home teachers gave her a Spanish-English picture dictionary and some Spanish vocabulary flashcards. Very generous. She wanted to practice with them after her homework.

We got to Skype with my parents and the Barneys tonight, which was fun. I've had to practice letting the kids be their kid selves. When I stop trying to have a decent conversation, then the Skype experience becomes much more enjoyable.

Alice asked for a birthday party this year. After all the hullabaloo last year with her turning eight, I was reluctant. We talked about my reservations and her hopes and finally compromised on a very low stress party format (win for me!) in which she could invite as many friends as she cared to (win for her!): we will simply meet up at a playground and play for 2 hours. She promptly typed up an invitation and printed copies for her 12 closest friends.

Sheesh, girl. You're blowin' my mind!

Love her, even when I don't understand her. Love to see her excited about change. She's hopeful about the future and loving today. That's a good place to be on one's birthday :)

1 comment:

  1. I did notice that she is more grown up than before as we visited. And I'm so happy for you to just let the kids be kids. Less stress and more enjoyment. Lara commented that they were just as theirs were at that age. It was great to get to see you all!

    ReplyDelete