Kitchen remodel: We ordered cabinets and hired the contractor. They're just waiting for building permits right now before the work can begin. Maybe in two weeks?
Garden 2016: started tender seeds indoors, planted hardy seeds outdoors, now I'm waiting for things to grow (and the weather to warm up) before transplanting everything outside. The new chicks are growing so fast, but still don't have enough feathers to keep themselves warm outdoors. Their chick fluff has been spread out over a larger surface area, so they look all pink and vulnerable in the last few places without juvenile feathers. They poop and eat like mad, though, so it won't be long. I'm ready to move the chicks out of my bathroom. Gotta wait, though. The old birds are only producing 2 eggs a day, so it's almost not worth it (to me) to keep them around. I went to feed/water them the other day and one hopped over and flapped onto my back. What?! Why?! I shook her off.
Spring Break: completely caught me by surprise. The first day was torture. Second day was better. Third day was the best yet. I feel like this is a big project, but mostly it just keeps me from doing my usual stuff :)
Learning Spanish: kinda hit a low point recently. I've continued my daily 10-minute practice, but it's barely holding on to the vocabulary I've learned. I like it enough to keep practicing, but without people to speak it with, my interest is waning.
Physical activity: going strong! I'm still visiting the gym regularly and enjoying my time there. I just met my first goal, though, so I'm casting about for another one to help keep up this momentum.
Encouraging my kids' education: I don't know if this would classify as a "project" per se, but it's something that takes up a lot of my time these days. I'm working on incorporating their learning into more daily activities (e.g. any time I perform arithmetic for cooking or cleaning or timing or anything, I ask the kid(s) to do it, too. Or when they ask me about something, I use the first words that pop into my head without dumbing it down too much). That takes effort, man. And that kid Robert is full of questions. This evening, I found myself trying to explain why raw chicken in a hot pan of oil produces explosive popping. James asked me this morning about whether sharks eat alligators or alligators eat sharks.
Keeping tabs on my kids' health: I worry a little about Matthew's slow language skills, so I've been signing more with him, and he LOVES it. I worry a little about Alice's checkup last week and her failing a hearing test in her left ear. We go back in a couple weeks to test again. She also complains of blurry vision now and then (while confessing that she desperately wants to join the "glasses club" at school). No medical concerns for Robert and James, thankfully. Or should I say "yet"? ;)
Summer plans: I'm starting to plan summer activities and lessons (swim? music? sports? camps? travel?) and trying to find that sweet spot in the middle of what I want and what they want. So many options, not many quiet moments to ponder the possibilities.
Teaching Primary: I teach a group of 5-6 year olds at church every week. I have seven students. Some more disruptive than others. The moment-by-moment discipline stuff uses the most energy, but I like the kids. Most weeks it's a fun challenge. I just feel like I'd be a better teacher if I had fewer students :)
I'm sure there are a few other projects I'm working on...oh yeah! My Lent goal. Kinda lost track of that one. Hmmmmm.
![]() |
| Recent photo of me. I took it for my texting profile photo, but now I can't figure out how to get it there :) Ha ha ha! Add that to the list of projects. |

Love the pic! Atticus really wants glasses, too.
ReplyDelete