![]() |
I am literally living two realities: 1) Don't count your berries before they ripen, and 2) It's gonna be a Gma/Gpa Evans raspberry patch kind of summer! Well, for the kids, anyway :)
In other news, a red fox (or two or three) made off with three of our hens last night :( Greedy little group. They exploited a weakness in the door of my impenetrable fortress. It's a good thing that foxes don't leave any gore behind. Just feathers. The kids were a bit shocked, of course, and Alice was in tears when she discovered that "Zippy" was one of the unlucky ones. Zippy was the only hen we could distinguish from the others because of her malformed feet. She remained the fastest, trickiest hen of the lot despite her physical defect. None of our hens are old enough to lay eggs yet. Another month or so. Anyway, the kids felt a little better when I told them it was probably a family of foxes ("babies" being the key word here) that benefited from this disaster. I wish they had feasted on rabbits, instead...
My friend has already offered us a few young hens of her own to fill out our flock again. They will be a different breed called Golden Buff. Hybrids. Great brown egg layers. I have tasted the eggs that come from my friend's farm and still preferred the eggs of my own birds, but soon I will have a direct, genetic, side-by-side comparison to see if it's all in my head :) Sounds fun.

No comments:
Post a Comment