I signed up for adult swim lessons at our local YMCA. Today was the first day.
First off, I wore the wrong bathing suit...my rashguard and biking shorts combo...had to tie a knot in the shirt hem and a knot in the shorts waist to keep it from flopping open in the deep water. I looked awesome. Currently debating whether I do that again next week or put on the sexy hot pink swimsuit I also own (the catalog called it "salmon" but it arrived definitely hot pink). No me gusta ese traje de baño. Siento demasiado desnudo! Quizás puedo vestir ambos...hmmmmm. Hubo una mujer en la classe que llevabó un traje de baño muy largo. It had sleeves to her wrists and leggings to her ankles.
Second, with only my childhood backyard swimming pool (yay for southern CA living!) and my junior high P.E. experience, I was far and above the best swimmer in the group. I thought this might happen, but opted for the "swim lesson" route over the "adult swim club" route because I've never had any real swim coaching. And I figured all I needed was a little guidance and a mountain of accountability to keep me practicing regularly.
Third, the teacher had 4 other adult students in the class ranging from absolute beginner to beginning circular breathing. I mostly swam laps, which was kinda what I was expecting to do anyway. It wore me out. The teacher asked about my goals for this class. I confessed that I was training for a sprint triathlon in September (with a team dividing up the course, not all by myself) and she lit up enthusiastically, "Oh! I love endurance training!" Something inside me wilted at the sound of "endurance training" but I knew it was what I needed to do to get what I wanted. Ugh.
Fourth, I must have drunk half a gallon of pool water. And my nose was burning from inhaling so much chlorine. She had me working on the freestyle stroke with circular breathing on both sides (where I swallowed all of the water), then learning how to flip turn (where most of the water went up my nose). Curse you, flip turn! My actual swimming event will be in a LAKE!
Fifth, I'm actually kinda excited to get better at this stuff.
Sixth, the boys didn't throw too big of a fit when I dropped them off at Child Watch, but we had already negotiated a trade. I get to take my swim lesson in peace and they get to skip quiet time for the day. It worked out for both of us this week. Let's see how the next 5 weeks go :)
Thursday, February 23, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Cool! I love swimming. I was on a team for a couple years in adolescence, till my mom got sick of the coach. I think you should definitely invest in a new suit if you're swimming in a race. Go to a sporting goods store and get a racing suit. They have high necks that will prevent drag and help you feel covered. Maybe you'll even find something like your classmate's suit. Definitely don't wear the baggy shorts and rash guard, though. Having to worry about them/deal with the unpredictable way they drag probably caused some of that water gulping you mentioned. Once you get able to breathe, take a big breath right before the flip turn and blow out slow out your nose as you somersault. It's the only way, man. Also, you NEED a silicone cap. That will also help you breathe. Cheap is fine. Watch a video of how to put the cap on, and take it off underwater at the end of class. Ah, now I'm jealous. Got to get back in the pool.
ReplyDeleteRE suit fitting: you should not be able to pull the straps of the suit up higher than the bottoms of your ears, while in the dressing room. If you can, it will be too loose in the pool. I hope you can find a black one.
ReplyDeleteI am so happy for you finding some more challenges! Didn't sound like you had enough with your kids, remodeling, and gardening enough to feed the town. :o) But I understand you wanting to be physically challenged too. So glad you are feeling good and have energy to do all that you do.
ReplyDeleteAnd I love your new picture!! Can't believe the kids are growing so fast!