Sunday, February 5, 2017

"My fwend"

Robert and James were sliding on the new dining room floor yesterday while Matthew looked on from Bobby's arms in the kitchen. Out of nowhere, Matthew points to the boys playing and says, "He my fwend."

I had never heard him use the word "friend" before, and it's a word I think about a lot, so this caught my attention.

"Who's your friend? Robert?"

"No." He shakes his head and points again, emphasizing the first word, "He my fwend."

Incredulous, I ask, "You mean James?!"

"Yah," and he smiles and lays his head on Bobby's shoulder.

Then I started thinking back over the last couple weeks...James has been kinder to Matthew...they do a lot more together these days. In fact, they've even started spending Quiet Time together. Matthew doesn't really need a nap every day, and it's better for everyone if James doesn't take a nap, so I've been letting them play together during Quiet Time.

Then I suddenly remembered something James had said earlier this week...

"Mommy, I used to not like Quiet Time, but now I really like it." Then he beamed at me and turned to Matthew, "C'mon, Matthew, let's go!" And they bounced back to James' room for more fun.

I did not know if this would ever happen. I'm completely astonished. And so happy. I'm not counting on it staying this way, just enjoying the moment.

IMG_20170202_095314627
James and Matthew enjoying the view down into the atrium from the 8th floor of the Psychology Building at the U of I. We went there this week to participate in another language study.

2 comments:

  1. That's stinkin' adorable. I love it when siblings decide that they really are friends :)

    ReplyDelete