Now, when I look at the peach tree, I don't get that feeling of dread and worry anymore. The fruit has been "safely gathered in". It's all here. We're going to enjoy it. Calm is restored.
My cucumbers have been a source of worry for me this week. They've come down with a nasty double fungal infection :( It's especially unfortunate, because cucumbers are the ONE vegetable my family could eat with reckless abandon. We eat 4-5 long, English cucumbers a week year-round. I believe the culprits are powdery mildew and anthracnose (don't ask me to pronounce that). Fortunately for me, there are a few organic options for treatment of those particular fungi.
Baking soda! Or, I should say, sodium bicarbonate.
Can you believe it? I can't either. Seems too easy. But I purchased a potassium bicarbonate version specifically for organic management of fungus on vegetables. The potassium is good for the plant, whereas too much sodium can build up in your soil and wreck future plantings. I put on the first application tonight and we shall see if the cukes pull through.
Trying not to get my hopes up too high. Worst case, the cukes die. Then I won't have to scan them for squash bug eggs anymore. Or worry about them at all. They will be "safely dead".
![]() |
| He looks dead, but he's just rolling around on the soft, new bathroom rug we picked out. Super, super soft. |


Nice attitude to adopt about the cucumbers. No worries either way.
ReplyDeleteI love the rug! And the boy on it.