Friday, September 8, 2017

5k Friday

I ran 3 miles today on an indoor track without stopping. If I hadn't run out of time, I might have had the wherewithal to go a couple more laps and make it an even 5k. I'm really, really happy for myself, though I've been feeling the side-effects all day (fatigue, achy legs) and I know I'll be hurting tomorrow!

I'm *this* close to officially training for a "sprint triathlon" (half-distance triathlon) on my own, but not quite ready to commit. I am just at the point where I can do each leg alright on its own, but putting them in sequence? That's a whole different story.

I had an acquaintance some years ago who would throw down a Swim-Bike-Run-Cook challenge every February. You would have the whole month to complete the equivalent of an Olympic triathlon (1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10k run). She was also a professionally-trained chef, so there was a weekly "cook" challenge: create a dessert featuring a vegetable, try a new ethnic cuisine, modify a family favorite to make it healthier, etc.

I balked at her back then...

Now I'm thinking of throwing down that challenge myself...maybe get a few crazy friends to join me. The swimming bit is always the worst, especially if you don't have access to an indoor pool in February. Maybe I can offer a Duathlon option (10k run, 40k bike, 5k run).

And a party. There must always be a party.

1 comment:

  1. We should work it out so we can do triathamom in Utah next summer (I really don't know how we'd do this or get bikes or anything, but it's on my bucket list. ) look up triathamom, I think you'll be interested

    ReplyDelete