Wondering how they will taste. The first few have been great, but the rinds were very thick because I had to harvest them early (curse you, bacterial wilt!). The mother plants have officially kicked the bucket, so I harvested ALL of the rest today. Probably gonna have rinds an inch thick :( but it hasn't put me off from growing melons again. I think I can improve the outcome next year.
Picked apples at a local orchard (free!): 75 gallons
The kids are finally old enough to help pick apples in meaningful ways and they did it WILLINGLY! It's an apple orchard miracle. Now if only that could lead to an apple saucing miracle...shoemaker and the elves fashion *sigh* I started saucing today with James and Matthew. James was all over that crank, man, and working it hard. Matthew, well, he sneezed three times in rapid succession right on top of a giant bowl of finished applesauce. I get to turn that batch into apple butter (simmer/sterilize it for several hours with sugar and spice, then process in a boiling water canner). I'm trying to decide if it's ethical to serve the finished (and perfectly sterilized) product to friends. Can I give it out as Christmas gifts?
![]() | |
| Crankin' out the 'sauce! |

No comments:
Post a Comment