Wednesday, October 3, 2018

James is 6!

We celebrated James' 6th birthday with all the attention and fanfare a 6-year-old could handle:

--cinnamon roll breakfast with presents
--Bobby and I coming to school to have lunch with him
--a friend coming over to play in the afternoon
--pizza dinner and family party
--playing One Night Ultimate Werewolf
--staying up past bedtime chatting with Erin
--looking at pictures of him as a baby/toddler
--promise of a family swim outing this weekend to try out his new snorkeling gear

James fulfilled his homework assignment entirely on his own tonight ("Draw a picture of something that starts with "M" and write its name) and was SO SO proud of himself. Erin gave him an art kit that snaps up into a handy wooden carrying case. James took it into his bedroom at bedtime and has since been drawing and writing and writing some more. It's like a switch flipped in his head and now "I'm a kid who writes stuff!"

He even read a story to Erin.

He's feeling so big and getting lots of attention from family members for his new skills. All good things.

At the same time, he gravely requested no friend party this year (it wasn't the year for it anyway, but he wanted to make sure I didn't surprise him with one). And he didn't want the kids at school to sing to him. So they didn't. He wants attention very much in some ways and not at all in others. I haven't quite figured him out. Neither has his fantastic kindergarten teacher :)

James is truly his own person. He is strong and clever and deeply motivated by his own priorities. A powerful force in this family. The most generous and thoughtful friend when he deems you worthy.

I love, love, love this crazy boy. 

IMG_20181003_150314492

1 comment:

  1. So glad he had a happy day. And what a beautiful picture of that handsome boy! I think this is the first picture I have ever seen of him smiling.

    ReplyDelete