Saturday, May 4, 2019

Race Day!

It's done...and my body is so, so tired.

My friend and I competed in the Pioneer Sprint Triathlon today in Petersburg, IL! It's the same race I ran last year: 300 yard swim (12 laps), 13-mile bike ride, and a 3.1-mile run.

I beat last year's time by 5 minutes, which means I swam, biked, and ran faster in the race than I ever did during training. Again. The improvement I see during a competition just blows my mind.

Why can't my music recitals work the same way? Or my Sunday School lessons? Or my momming in public?

Pbbsh.

Bobby asked if I'll do it again next year. It's a little early to tell. I'm still wearing a pounding headache from this one. The truth is, I wouldn't have trained for this race if it hadn't been for my friend's timely decision to sign up. And I'm pretty sure she's giving up biking for good after today...

So, we'll see. I love love love the bike bit, though, and have signed up for one long ride a month this summer (30-60 miles) through our local cycling folks (Prairie Cycling Club). If I like the longer rides, I'll consider a century ride next season :)

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Congratulations! I am in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive, Susan! You are awesome. I remember loving bike riding too. Maybe one of these days I'll get good enough to do a long ride with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You rock! I wish I could be there to train with you (minus the running bit).

    ReplyDelete