I saw my first firefly of the season last night while I was walking in my neighborhood. My friend saw it first, actually, so she wins the first round, but on my walk home I saw 10 more, which means I've seen more than she has. Ha! I'm such a poor sport. Competition brings out the worst in me *sigh*
Some recent happenings...
 |
| The kids asked to have a campout in the backyard tonight. Bobby and I don't sleep outside, and Alice was all into it, so we let them stay out there on their own. It lasted until dark, then they burst from the tent to chase fireflies. Then they got scared and came inside to sleep in their beds. |
 |
| Inside the farm's high tunnel. The white strings are there to support the tomato plants just getting started. |
 |
| I am happy to work in the high tunnel until these things break open and release hundreds (thousands?) of baby zipper spiders. I put my fingers in the picture for size comparison. Keeping a close eye. I was tempted to bring one home for us to hatch on our own, but then...well...we'd have hundreds (thousands?) of baby spiders hanging around. I love the idea of watching their birth, but I'm pretty sure I would die of the heebie-jeebies within seconds. |
I'm with you on the spiders. They didn't used to bother me, but now they do for some reason. And the thought of a swarm, no matter how tiny they are, makes my skin crawl. Smaller is almost worse.
ReplyDeleteYep, spiders aren't my favorite either. Glad you don't let them scare you away from your tasks.
ReplyDeleteAnd what a wonderful treat with the fireflies!! Wish we had them here.
I think I'll have the heebie jeebies for the rest of the day!
ReplyDelete