Monday, October 14, 2019

Matthew Thinking Out Loud

At breakfast this weekend, Matthew turns to me thoughtfully and says, "Did you know that 4 squares can make another square?"

Holy spatial reasoning, Batman! He said he figured it out by studying a cup covered in Lego images and looking at the bay windows in our dining room. Bobby asked him if four of those new squares would make another square. Matthew responded with something like, "I can imagine all the squares I need to in my head."

Bobby and I kinda looked at each other with wide eyes.

A minute later, Matthew turns to me again and says, "Hey, did you know that 2 plus 2 makes 4?"

"Yah! Wow! How did you figure that out?!"

"The windows. See? Two squares and two squares and that makes four."

***************************

Driving down the road this afternoon, Matthew is looking out the window. Again, very thoughtful. Then he perks up and says, "Mom! I think I figured out what hills are!" He then explains that hills are actually how people see the curve of the earth, because it's round, and if you're on the side, then the top will look so much taller, right? So that's a hill.

1 comment: