Thursday, October 3, 2019

James Update

It's James' birthday today. A whopping 7 years old!! I will write about that specifically a little later. First, though, in this moment to myself, I wanted to record what happened next with James' girl problem...

I let his teacher know what was going on and how we planned to help James stand up for himself. She said she would talk to the little girl's teacher about it.

A couple days went by. James came home from school like usual and acted the same in every way. I wanted an update, but didn't want to push, and knew that making a big deal out of it might backfire on me. I tried to play it cool. Soooooo cool. Finally, I asked.

"Hey, how did it go at lunch recess today with [insert girl's name here]?"

*Puzzled look* *Dawning comprehension* "She didn't chase me." *smile*

"Really?! What happened?"

"A couple days ago I told her that if she chased me again I would tell the teacher (meaning the lunch monitor). And she stopped."

"That was Friday. It's Tuesday. Has she bothered you since?"

"Nope!" *giggle*

He did it! He stood up for himself! It's the same exact thing he told her before, but something else happened this time for her to take it seriously. Was it his teacher's intervention? Confidence gained from sharing his trouble with others? Sincere prayers from concerned parents and grandparents? I don't know. But what a gift.

It's been almost 2 weeks. I asked him about the girl again last week and he replied, "Who?!"

Ha ha ha ha ha! So, I think it's resolved. For now.

Whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment