Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Secret Hero

Yesterday, James asked if we could "be in the backyard" together. It was sunny and 40F, which feels balmy these days. He asked if we could do something in the garden. I gave him a couple choices and he chose "digging trenches between the garden beds". We were working a while when I saw a neighborhood dog wandering around without his owner. We called him over and James got a hold of him. Biscuit. Again. We let him run around inside the garden fence while I texted his owner to let her know we had him. James, Matthew, and Robert took turns loving on this excitable, friendly chihuahua. Biscuit obviously loved the attention, but was eager to get back to exploring things outside the garden. It didn't take him long to find the weakest point in the fence. He kept returning to it again and again. 

At some point, the conversation turned to even smaller creatures than chihuahuas. James told me that he secretly used to nudge the mouse traps in our garage with his shoe until they sprang. He said he did it to save the mouse's lives. 

I admire him for that. 

I'll also be hiding the mouse traps much better next time.

1 comment: