Gosh. I've been working at Champaign Cycle for 2 weeks. Every single day is different except 1) I always learn something new, 2) I always get a little more confident/independent in something else, and 3) I feel like a complete idiot in yet something else. My coworkers have been awesome teachers and very patient.
I find the coworker situation just as fascinating as the mechanical work. Every shift feels different based on who's working that day. The manager is meticulous and crazy good at bike mechanics. He can look at a bike and know instantly what needs doing. The assistant manager is more loosey-goosey, unhurried and chatty. He's a very experienced mechanic but his real superpower is finding solutions to problems that no one else can solve.
The job has put a damper on other things I like to spend time and energy on. I've had to reschedule or postpone time with friends :( I'm less available for church-related meetings and activities that happen during the day. Any outings or errands I can't complete between 8:15 and 9:30am must be done with my kids in tow or while Bobby is home to be with them. Both of those situations come at a price I'd rather not pay. My mom has been in town for 2 weeks and I've barely spent ANY time with her or my sister.
I think working 5 days a week is not a good fit for me. I'd rather work 2-3 days. That's not possible right now, but the cycling season is almost over. Things will slow down significantly over the next few weeks.
I've been riding my bike to and from work most days. It makes me tired. I push hard for all 5.6 miles and then I'm beat when I get there or home. It makes me tired and sleepy the rest of the day, too.
_______________________________
I miss Bobby. Ever since the big kids stopped going to their rooms at 7:30 per the bedtime routine, I've had less time just with Bobby. Alex likes to chat and play board/card games with me. Robert likes to play video games online solo or with his friends. So, evenings are now a modified extension of "Mom Mode." By the time Bobby and I are getting ready for bed, I'm starved for his attention and conversation. I miss the unguarded adult time I used to enjoy with him when the kids were all in their rooms by 7:30pm. I guess this means we need to reinstitute date night.
_______________________________
I don't want to go to bed now, but I know tomorrow will be a whole lot better if I do. Grr.
I sympathize with all of this. I like my job, but it comes at a price and I find myself asking all the time if that price is worth it.
ReplyDelete