Tuesday, March 24, 2026

More changes...

Last night, Matthew ate dinner with us and chatted happily. That's new.

Later, he hopped off the computer and declared, "I want to do a big project!" He brainstormed with Bobby and Robert and spent an hour cutting cardboard and going through the dress-up clothes. Also new.

He joined us for family scripture study and read out loud with us. No tablet. Totally new.

He worked on his project a little more and then went to bed, no anxiety. Unbelievable.

This morning, he woke up and hopped into the shower. Unprompted. No warning. I was completely taken aback and asked him why he did that. He replied, "I just wanted to feel clean and help myself wake up more." 

"Did it work?

"Yup!"

I'm still utterly flabbergasted.

He got dressed, ate a hearty breakfast, and went back to his project until it was time to leave for school. Tweaking and adjusting things, collaborating with Robert some more. Who is this kid? Is this what normal Matthew is like?

When it was time to leave, he experienced a series of delays and unexpected issues: the only clean socks were long socks so he had to change from pants into shorts, then he tried on several pairs of shorts and they didn't feel right, so he went back to pants and wore the long socks with pants. All of this he did on his own without meltdown or coaching or coaxing from anyone else. He just considered his options and made decisions like some other regular kid. Then he realized he had to use the bathroom. He started to get concerned about being late. Concerned, not anxious. I assured him we were still within our normal leaving time. He believed me. He actually listened and calmed himself. We got in the car just fine. As we drove, he voiced his feelings about the timer his teachers put up on the board before class starts. He listed all the things he needed to do before that timer ran out and the school day officially began: change his shoes, unpack his bag, get his workbook and supplies. Calmly. He was talking about something that stresses him out. Out loud. With words. Then he suddenly remembered that I needed to sign a couple things. No meltdown. He just pulled them out of his bag and handed them to me nonchalantly. Like a regular kid. 

LIKE A REGULAR KID!

I'm still in shock.

No comments:

Post a Comment