Thursday, March 13, 2008

Happy Birthday to you.

Dear Alice,

One year ago tonight, almost to the very minute within posting this blog, I experienced a strange kicking sensation in my belly followed by the most peculiar popping sound and a warm gush of fluid. Six hours later, we met you face-to-face for the first time. You looked just like my dad. Your little voice was a squeaky door hinge. I can't remember how it felt beyond pure relief. Absolute relief. You were here, and healthy, and finally ours to hold and kiss.

I kissed you a lot that first night. I counted every wet diaper, every sigh, every moment of consciousness you fluttered through. You only woke up once that first night and I walked with you in our room, singing "How Firm a Foundation"...no other song or lullaby or snippet of a nursery rhyme would come to mind, no matter how hard I tried. On your birthday, we took this movie of your delightful tongue.

[flv width="400" height="300"]http://evansfamily.powweb.com/movies/2007/AliceLicksBlanket070314.flv[/flv]

And now, tonight, you snuggled close to me while we had our Relief Society Presidency meeting. You laughed when we laughed, even though you didn't get the jokes. You smiled. You made comments and expounded on many topics we hadn't considered. When the ladies left and you and I were alone, I kissed you again and again. We read a book. We prayed. I kissed you again. You chose to sleep with your lamb doll and fell asleep without a sound. What a birthday gift to me :)

Love,

Mom

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday, Alice

    (This was gorgeous, Susan. A lovely piece of writing.)

    ReplyDelete