I'm not usually one to celebrate holidays with vigor. There's just something about all that hopeful expectation building up to a few moments of less-than-ideal real life that disappoints every time. The more I try to make it perfect, the more disappointed I am at the end. So, I've learned to expect and plan very little around holidays so that I can actually enjoy the less-than-ideal real life. Yeah, yeah, I'm not normal, but I really do enjoy holidays better that way.
Today was sweet. Bobby had his normal pre-church meetings from 8:30 to 11:00, so he quickly made pancakes while Alice and I slept in. He ate breakfast with us and rushed out the door. I had a quiet morning at home with the babe. Since it was Sunday, I didn't have a whole list of "to-do's" on my brain. We played and played and I truly enjoyed it. It's fun to play with Alice when I can let go of responsibilities and just enjoy the game. She's coming up with new scenarios for her babies all the time (i.e. grouping them in families, cuddling them when they cry, taking them on walks to 'Nise's house or Will's house, dressing them in her panties while she teaches them how to use the potty). We got ready for church in record time and arrived early. When Alice saw Bobby sitting on the pew, she squealed and ran to him with her arms outstretched, "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" She hugged and snuggled him a good few minutes before settling in to the regular church routine. I love to see her love her daddy. I love to see them play together. I smile when she asks him in the morning, "Daddy stay home and Mommy go work?" or when she spots him in a crowd with, "My daddy!" It literally helps me love her more when I see she loves him, and love him more when I see he loves her.
After church, we lounged about the house a bit before heading over to Bill and Kristin's for dinner. Kayla slept while Alice and Will played really well together, which gave the adults time to talk and laugh together, too. We ate banana pudding for dessert. Banana pudding is one of my mom's favorite desserts and it therefore became a Mother's Day tradition in my house growing up. I can't seem to break the habit, especially since I discovered the joy of homemade vanilla pudding.
We have no pictures from the last few weeks because our camera of 6 years has gone on the fritz. Many apologies. It's uncertain when we will find a suitable replacement :( Hopefully soon, though, I think Alice is growing up faster than I can keep track.
Sunday, May 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Happy Mother's Day
ReplyDeleteI agree wholeheartedly with you on the celebration of holidays, so I guess you aren't the only abnormal person out there :)