What a joy! After our terrible experience with
Bob Brackett's CSA last year (which has since been independently confirmed by another of Bob's former shareholders as the worst CSA experience ever), we have begun the new growing season with a new group called the
Prairieland CSA. It's managed by a non-profit organization, not the farmer, so the farmer family does their job and the organization handles all the PR with the kind of administrative know-how that inspires confidence! Yippee! I also love the Moore Family's produce and chicken, so I knew the quality of the products before signing on.
Our first share was this week (2 weeks earlier than Bob's start date):
- 6 eggs, pasture-raised
- 1# whole wheat flour
- 1 medium sack of salad mix and Asian greens (combined)
Now that's the way to start when you don't have anything! As a new member of the CSA, I received a cookbook as well. It's more of a how-to-cook-from-a-CSA-share kind of manual with basic instructions on the types of dishes that do well with a variety of fresh ingredients (quiches, crepes, casseroles, pastas, etc.). An entire chapter is devoted to cooking with fresh herbs. I look forward to that educational experience.
Your CSA sounds much cooler than ours. The Borskis are great, but they don't start until the end of June, and we don't get a nifty cookbook or anything. Maybe an occasional recipe. But no eggs, either. Or flour. I'm pouting in envy...
ReplyDeleteOk, I just checked out your CSA website, and yours is more expensive than ours. I guess you get what you pay for, right? I don't feel cheated anymore. But it would still be nice to have the option to get eggs and chicken. :)
ReplyDeleteI got my first CSA share from Aunt Holly today: carrots, radishes, and scallions. Not bad for free :)
ReplyDelete