Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Sunburned

I am currently sporting my first official sunburn of the year. It's not something I'm super proud of, but I'm quite pleased with the activities that led to such pain. Sunny outdoor work and play! Especially today's work and play. A friend of mine took me out to her parents' farm in Piatt County where they have grown almost 100% of their vegetable needs for the last few years. I'd like to have a larger, diversified "farmette" of my own someday, so I begged them last year to let me help them this year. Today was my orientation! What a treat!

Alice was leery of their enthusiastic golden retriever appropriately named "Moose", and uncomfortable in the constant wind (the prairie is windy almost ALL the time), but otherwise cooperative. We picked radishes, deer tongue lettuce (a variety of Bibb, I believe), and spinach. I picked up a few neat ideas for hoop houses and improving early crop vigor, and shared a couple thoughts on my experience with asparagus. I'm soooooo excited to be a part of this! Yipee!

Now if I could get a working camera back into my life, I'd post picts!

1 comment:

  1. Will you have asparagus by the time I visit?

    ReplyDelete