Saturday, December 12, 2009

Meeting Santa 2009

So, there's no picture of Alice's encounter with Santa at the ward Christmas party this year. She asked, "Is he real?" I replied that he was dressed like Santa, yes. She seemed satisfied with that answer. We hung around the outskirts of the crowd as she watched the kids get on his lap and chat with him. I told her that you get a candy cane for talking to him, but she pointed out that he wasn't actually giving them out...they were just in a bucket next to his seat and the kids were grabbing one as they got off his lap. I looked at the length of the line, the less-than-enthusiastic Alice in my arms, and the bucket of candy canes. She had a good point. We snuck over to the bucket where she got one by herself, then we headed to the car.

It was in the parking lot that I realized what Alice was actually wearing. She had chosen to wear blue jeans, a lime green polo shirt (that somehow ended up backwards in the process of using the church potty completely by herself for the first time!), open-toed sandals (one size too large), and a pair of unmatched socks (one turquoise and one white). As I unlocked the car, she was trying to catch some rain on her tongue. I was sad, then, that I didn't get a picture of her tonight. This girl makes me happy.

1 comment:

  1. Alice is definitely a smart girl. Why sit on a stranger's lap, if you can just grab a candy cane anyway? I have no desire to get Benji into the Santa Claus thing; we never believed in it growing up, so it doesn't mean anything to me. I hope he will consider it all as logically as Alice does.

    ReplyDelete