Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Quality Time

Though only 5 months in utero, I think this little fellow already has a sense of humor. He manages to move and kick at the most interesting times, especially when I try to say anything prophetic about our future life together. For example, seed catalogs for next year's garden have just begun to arrive. He makes an exasperated flail every time I'm tempted to add a new vegetable to my wish list. It will take MUCH self-control to limit my expectations for Summer 2010.

"C'mon, Zurg, it's belgian endive! You'll love it!"

The more he moves, though, the better acquainted I feel with him. I get the sense that he's hanging out with me as I live my life and make choices. That's some serious quality time. I love him more for it, too. Quality time is my love language above and beyond all others.

I'm excited to meet him. I've gathered some boy clothes that I like, a couple names that might work, and a general sense that we'll be okay. I guess I'm trying to say that he now has a place in my family. I've made room for him in my thoughts and preparations. He's actually there...now and in the future...a faceless, voiceless, but absolutely real little kid that's going to be a part of my life indefinitely. We're a family of four. Kinda cool to feel that.

No comments:

Post a Comment