Tuesday, May 15, 2012

First Firefly

I spied my first firefly of the season tonight. It was hovering over my strawberries, wandering back by the chicken coop, and then off into the bushes. Just one. The sighting kinda made up for the screaming fits both kids had just during bedtime tonight. Not really, but it's a peaceful and exciting end to an exhausting evening.

Alice was wailing about fires destroying our home and Buddy was angry I wouldn't let him put on his own diaper...as if he could. It was one of those nights when the kids are crying in stereo and you're beyond caring. It only lasted 10 minutes, thankfully. Buddy cried himself to sleep while I was reading Alice a bedtime story. We're fortunate the bedtime story she selected had the protagonist's dead mother portrayed as a "guardian angel" watching over him through his joys and sorrows. Alice found it fun and comforting.

When I turned to leave her room she said with a loving laugh, "I hope I have another nightmare tonight, 'cuz then I can kick you in the face again *giggle giggle*." (Last night, she ended up in my bed after a fire dream. Her flailing and tossing did put a foot in my face for a moment, which I told her about the next morning.)

No comments:

Post a Comment