Another 4 cubic yards of rich, steaming, earthy compost delivered to our house this week. This time its job is to bury a couple of stumps and prep the soil for raspberries and blackberries next spring. Oooo diddly.
 |
| Buddy dug in. He loved this chore as much as I did. The kid-sized shovel is the BEST $5 I've ever spent. |
 |
| Gooooooood stuff. |
 |
| Buddy invents a frisbee. |
 |
| Alice would have jumped in, but she had cut the bottom of her foot earlier and opted to go for a bike ride instead. |
 |
| James looking on. He tasted some compost, scooped it into a pan with a spoon, and gingerly tried walking on it once. Not to his liking, I suppose. |
We spread the compost out and seeded it with white clover, which happens to be 1) an excellent ground cover for high traffic areas, 2) superior pasture for free-range chickens, and 3) commonly accepted as a turf weed. May my neighbor forgive me ;)
I love all those dirty toes!!!
ReplyDeleteLOVE the close-ups. precious toes and fingers.
ReplyDeleteSo I thought of you and your yard yesterday, when I toured the coolest backyard ever. We went to this house to practice our musical number for church, and the kids played out back while we practiced. I'm sure I can't do the place justice with just a list, but let me tell you. It had such awesome garden stuff and such awesome family and kid stuff. It had two garden beds, one raised, one not, on opposite sides of the yard. Also a flower patch in the middleish. Also a grassy patch with a soccer goal. Also a swing set (and a good one, too, with baby swing, two big kid swings, slide) [ok at this point I'm going to admit to myself that I'm going to tell you ALL about it] and a sandbox, and there was a small (2 man) tent set up near there. Nice shed/outbuilding thing. Next to it, a chicken coop. Over yonder, a fire circle with like a picnic table by it. More like a half a picnic table? just one side had a bench. But there were other benches, too, comfy looking wood ones, curvy. And I didn't try them but i noticed that when benjamin did they were rocking benches. Dude. I will sit out on my rocking bench and nurse the baby while you all play in the sandbox. Also some sapling trees they had planted, along with quite a few (a dozen?) mature trees. One of which had a treehouse in it. But wait! I found out that it was not a traditional treehouse, later. Though large enough to be one, it is not roofed, making it easy for both adults and children to ride the freaking zipline that comes off of it! Which is rigged in such a way that you will most definitely not hit the tree at the end even if you are a grown man. You can ride it standing or sitting on the little platform, holding onto a vertical rope. And I confess I did not explore the far corner of the yard, but I'm positive I saw a tire swing and there was something else over there that I don't know what it was. Some little walls that didn't go all the way to the ground. Looked kind of like a camp shower, but I don't know. Why would you have one of those in your backyard? So. You know. If you ever come visit in Atlanta (which you are welcome to do!) I will have to introduce you to the Hammonds, because you both fit into the category in my brain called "people who are serious about their back yards." (and don't even get me started on what I saw of the interior of their house. Too cool.)
ReplyDelete