Finally! A Girls' Night with Alice that actually worked for both of us! We originally decided to go for ice cream, but the temperature that evening was pretty frigid. We were driving past a Starbucks when Alice asked if they sold cocoa. Of course, my dear! I wholeheartedly agreed. Minutes later, we were snuggled down together in an oversized squashy chair sipping our drinks and nibbling special treats.
Alice thought it was sooooooo cool that her cocoa came in a coffee cup. She asked about the other patrons: are they doing homework? Are they the age you were when you and Daddy were friends? With each answer, she got more delighted, like this was a place for "big people" to do big people things and she had been specially invited to join them. She took great interest in the decor and what it might mean.
When our drinks were done, we went home and locked ourselves into Alice's room for a light-hearted, clue-giving round of Battleship. Alice actually said with a smile, "I don't really care if I win" and she meant it. The exclusive time together was more fun than the win. Robert and James pounded on the door a bit. I had hoped their movie for Boys' Night would last a bit longer, and I felt sorry for the obvious exclusion. Sorry, boys.
It was a low-key, but special event. Alice was glowing and I had enjoyed myself very much. I hope we have more of those experiences ahead of us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I loved going to "big people" places. It feels so cool, and being there with just you must have been a treat. Way to go!
ReplyDelete