Friday, May 9, 2014

Outside Love

I spent all day outside with the boys today and here are my favorite moments:

...James sees an ant in the dirt and instantly drops flat on his belly to watch it closer. Chin to toes, he's filthy and he doesn't even notice.

...Buddy insists on helping me dig a trench for the asparagus crowns. He stands right where I need to shovel and jabs his red shovel into the dirt that I've already turned. If he hadn't been so earnest in his efforts, I might have become frustrated.

...James sees said trench that Buddy and I just dug and he must march in it. Repeatedly. So proud of himself.

...I have to empty a rain barrel before I can move it to the right place. I just push it over and 20 gallons of water gushes out the top. Both boys shriek with surprised exultation. James hops from one foot to the other 'cuz he just can't contain the thrill, then they race to play in the puddle. Robert finds a dirty rag, soaks it in the puddle, holds it high, and throws it back into the puddle full force. James busts a gut laughing, dirty rainwater all over his face.

...I wander off to care for the chickens and the boys somehow manage to fill a flower pot with dirt, leaves, and a gallon of water. That makes mud. Glorious mud. Somehow, James gets it smeared all over his right eye. They dump it out on the concrete and dance in the mess.


It just makes me happy. Two muddy boys in the bathtub before lunch and I couldn't be happier. I told Bobby about this and he said, "They're just like you!"

He's totally right. I love that they love to be outside as much as I do. I love that dirt and bugs and mud are their playground. I love that they find my work fascinating. I love that they want to be a part of it right now. I have no idea what the future will bring, but I'm enjoying my today: my boys at age 4 and 18 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment