[Quick chicken update: the day after I turned off the lights, there were FOUR eggs in the nest. Maybe the lights were bothering them? Then the next day, only one egg. Grrrr. Gotta figure something out here.]
Short version: all on track :), GBS-positive :(, and induction date scheduled :S
Long version:
I had my 37 week prenatal appointment today. Alice was born by now. Robert and James wouldn't be coming for another 3.5 weeks. It's the final countdown. The news since last week is I'm GBS-positive...again. Bummed, but not terrifically surprised. I'm feeling kinda "blah" about it, actually, because I freaked out last time and found a calm resolution. Looking back at my 38-week prenatal appointment with James, though, it's funny to see I was toying with the idea of an induction then, too. I had completely forgotten about that. And I was whining a lot at this point last time about being uncomfortable :) Sounds sooooooo familiar. Maybe I've had the exact same pregnancy experience four times in a row and I just THINK each one is new and different.
Anyway, I went ahead and scheduled an induction for the babe's due date. The convenience of a planned birth and the details of my specific birth history (i.e. my water always breaking first, precipitous/rapid labor following immediately) won over any reservations I had about unnecessary medical intervention. I'm a hippie, but not hard core :) A past version of me would chalk this decision up to weakness, and maybe a future version of me will declare the same verdict, but the me right now finds it an attractive, low-risk option worth taking seriously. We'll have to wait and see. It's only an illusion of control: Peek-A-Boo could always come early, or conditions might not be right for an induction when his due date finally comes. And I reserve the right to change my mind about this at any time :)
My uterus is measuring a bit large again (39cm when 37cm is expected), but not alarmingly so. The midwife tells me to expect a baby about as big as the last couple I've had. Okay. I asked about baby jaundice and the length of my hospital stay and which post-partum procedures I can reasonably decline without putting me or the baby in danger. I'm all for routine checkups on my healing and recording the baby's eating/excretion patterns. That's totally cool. I'd just like a little leeway on when those checks happen. Do they have to wake me up for it? Could I possibly give them a call when I'm awake and already nursing for them to come in and do all that stuff? But will I want to call them? Probably not. I talk a big game about wanting to take control of my hospital experience, but in the end I will probably just grin and bear it for the required minimum amount of time and check out as soon as possible. Again, we'll have to see how this plays out.
Friday, October 24, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am comforted that you will allow induction. Considering your history I think it's a wise move, whatever your past and future selves will say.
ReplyDelete