Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Tile tile tile!

This is Day 2 of the tile installation job. Tomorrow they will grout and finish. I thought I'd illustrate the flooring process in photos :)
20160511_074541
Here's the kitchen floor after they took out the cabinets and table.

IMG_20160511_120358823
This is the floor after 5 layers of vinyl and underlayment were removed, leaving only a stained subfloor. Apparently, the first installers had used roofing tar paper as a moisture barrier?!?!

20160517_172631
This is what it looked like at the end of Tiling Day 1: carpet cut away from the sliding glass door, cement board laid, and the first few rows of tile.

IMG_20160518_081652916
With only a little bit of tile in place, I started to wonder if I/we had made the best choice. It appeared the exact same color as our dirty beige carpet. Gasp!

IMG_20160518_140750754
Now that I see it on a larger scale, it looks better...more neutral...more orderly...warmer hues...than I had perceived with only a few tiles on the floor. Whew!
 
IMG_20160517_115406335
James watching the guys work. He's so interested in the process that he actually stops moving and talking for 10 minutes at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! And brilliant of you to put tile in front of the sliding glass.

    ReplyDelete