![]() |
| Ten lousy peaches. Alice and the grapes are there for scale. |
When I first planted these trees, I thought, "Let's just see what happens. I know trees are susceptible to disease. I know squirrels are a concern. But I don't know if those things will be problems here, in this yard, with these trees. Let's take one problem at a time."
That was 5 years ago. This is the first year there's been any peach crop to speak of, and there's not much to say :(
Do I build a chicken wire fortress around my fruit trees?
Do I grow and care for fruit trees that will feed more squirrels than humans?
Do I get a license to capture and kill squirrels in my yard?
Do I chop down the trees and use that land to grow something else?
Perhaps Bobby is right. Maybe I'm overreacting. It's only the first crop, after all. Maybe I can focus on preventing mold next year and wrap the lower limbs in bird netting. The squirrels could chew through it, but maybe they won't if the higher peaches are left unprotected. Sounds like a plan. For now.
I did get to taste one peach from our trees this year. It was firm, sweet, and the flavor was almost exactly like Peach-O candy. Made me laugh. I didn't share it. Gardening can bring out the worst in me some days ;)

I'd spray for the fungus...I say this as someone who didn't spray a single tree this year and just cut out a lot of worms when I was canning...so really you don't have to listen to me. The squirrels are your biggest problem. I'm guessing nets won't cut it. Maybe you should move to Idaho. I have a badger running around I'm trying to catch, but no squirrels :)
ReplyDelete