Monday, May 8, 2017

Gray Leaf Spot

Dumb fungus.

My tomatoes have been struck with a fungus called "gray leaf spot." It's treatable, but a significant setback. I'm trying to figure out how they were exposed when they've been growing exclusively in my bathroom since birth and their growing medium was specifically designed to fight early fungal infections. It could be the hippy fertilizer I've been using (like concentrated compost), or the teeny gnats that come in through the window screen to enjoy the unseasonable warmth and light my little growing room provides.

IMG_20170508_091919188
Spotty, yellowing leaves.


My choices, as I see them today are:

A) I could give up. That was my first thought.

B) I could treat them with an organic-approved fungicide.

C) I could buy new seeds and start again with spot-resistant strains.

D) C and then B

In 15+ years of gardening, I've never used anything commercial on my plants besides Miracle-Gro. I'm resistant to the pesticide option (even with 'safer', more environmentally friendly product choices these days) because it's a whole new learning curve for me. And I don't see it as a long-term solution. And I don't want to get dependent on it. Seems dirty, somehow.

*sigh*

Next year, I will select seeds that are more resistant to gray leaf spot. This year, I will learn something new and delve into the world of chemical pest management...only products that fit the standards for the USDA Organic label. Californian and European standards are more stringent. More research to be done.

At least it's not the Tobacco Mosaic Virus, which has no treatment or cure :)

1 comment: