"Funder" = thunder...totally NOT fun
"Wahdder Mountin" = water fountain...fire hose to a 2yo
"Hew-dee" = Hootie, a stuffed owl from my parents
Potty training is a rousing success! Except for the solid bits. Still an interesting adventure there, I'm afraid, so I think I just need to watch him more closely for the next week to help him recognize the early signs.
I took a triathlon swim clinic this morning. I balked at the notion that they would really have FOUR hours of material to teach me. I promised myself I could leave after the first two hours. But the time went pretty quickly. The first half was technique work. Then we learned sighting and turning and pack starting techniques (not my favorite). The one thing I really, really loved most was the lap turn. It's different from a flip turn. It's an awesome sideways rocketing off the wall. My favorite. And I got a little prideful when the Ironman athletes in the class had trouble with it and I didn't.
*eye roll* I can be so, so petty.
Garden-wise, I've been treating the sickly tomato plants with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). I feel they've recovered well enough to plant them. The fungus gnats are just about gone, so I can start all the melons and cukes again indoors, but it's late enough in the season now that I might as well plant everything directly outdoors: green beans, corn, watermelon, cucumber, cantaloupe, honeydew. So, once the rain stops, I'll get more compost out there and plant everything else.
Matthew went through 4 outfits yesterday, and it wasn't because of potty training. It was because he was playing outside in the rain and puddles, then inside at the sink, then ate a messy lunch, then played inside at the sink again. The good news is, he loves washing his hands after using the bathroom. The bad news is, I pretty much need to strip him down and start again when he's done. This video shows him dinking around outside in the rain. He says "hi" to the chickens at some point, stomps a couple puddles, and discovers a basketball will float in water. Nothing thrilling, but it's a part of this regular day-to-day living that I love. Towards the end, when he's reaching for the second basketball, you can sneak a peek at his big boy underwear ;)
Alice performed at her year-end piano recital. She did really well! She's progressed enough that the pieces she's learning actually sound like real music. She doesn't complain loudly about practicing anymore, either. I think she actually enjoys playing music! Can I truly be so lucky?
![]() |
| Here she is enjoying her first "Choco Taco" ever. She says, "How did I not know about these before?!" |
Robert needed a haircut. Badly. Bobby took him to the barber while I was at the swim clinic and he came back with a mohawk. Ha ha haaaaa! So fun for one day. I'll trim it off tonight :)
![]() |
| Awesome. |
![]() |
| Mean guy pose. |
James has been enjoying the special end-of-year themes at preschool this week: Dinosaur Day, Bubble Day. Monday is Superhero Day. Then he's done for the summer. He's excited about no more preschool. This kid just doesn't enjoy being away from home or me. Bobby and I went on a date last night, leaving the kids with a very fun babysitter. James did his sticky arms routine, but managed to stay in the house as we drove away. He's also the only kid of mine who's snuck into my room on my "sleep in" days just to snuggle up to me and stroke my cheek. Last Saturday, he fell on the scooter handlebars and cut all the way through his bottom lip. Bobby took him to the doctor. It wasn't bad enough for stitches, and it healed pretty quickly.
![]() |
| Here's his wound on Day 3. Barely a scratch! And it didn't stop him from eating or talking like normal. |




No comments:
Post a Comment