
James and Matthew kept me company this morning as I harvested my first ever crop of sweet potatoes. It was clear that some plants had spent all of their energy on growing ONE massive tuber. Others spread it out a little between more tubers of more reasonable sizes. We got about 30 pounds in all. 30 pounds!!!
When my friend had to cancel our play date this morning due to illness, I was bummed. James and Matthew love to play with my friend's kids! I wasn't sure how a trip to the "big garden" would ever compare, but we managed. It helped a ton that the boys didn't know there was a play date scheduled in the first place ;) James occupied himself with trimming dead things with scissors. Matthew played with his hand guys on the wagon and weeds. Once the potatoes were out, we picked tomatoes and some celery and fresh herbs. James found another caterpillar to add to his
You may have noticed that the title of this post is "(Almost Sweet) Potatoes." Well, sweet potatoes aren't that sweet when they first come out of the ground. They need to cure in humid heat for a week, then sit in a cool, humid cellar for 6-8 weeks before they start to get their characteristic malty sweetness. I kinda wish I had researched the "post-harvest" handling a little more before I put those puppies in the ground.
Oh well, I'll make do with what I have.
I have a hot, humid laundry room that houses the water heater. If we keep the door shut and the A/C vent closed, it stays a humid 80-85F all day. Perfect for the first week. It's in this period where the potato "heals" wounds from the harvest and activates the enzymes that convert starch to maltose.
Then there's the long wait...6 weeks from today is Halloween...throughout which the potatoes should ideally stay between 50 and 55F and 75% humidity. ACK?! Fridge is too cold. House and crawlspace are too warm. Even with a root cellar 6-ft deep, it wouldn't get that cool in September! Now I see the wisdom of delaying harvest until the last possible moment (mid-October).
Here's a sneak peek at some family photos we had taken this weekend by a friend. Actually, this one was taken by Bobby while we were waiting for our session to start. Please note that James and Matthew are both engaged and smiling at the camera. James was reluctant to perform for the photographer (like last time! and the time before!) so this is the closest to smiley happiness you'll see from him in this series. Alice and Robert, of course, are looking silly on purpose. Because it's funny. Of course it is. They did well for the real photographer, though. I think. I haven't seen the official pictures yet ;)
![]() |
| Chillin' at the U of I Arboretum. |

So interesting about sweet potatoes! I had no idea it was such a process.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I love the new family pics. The bright colors, and everyone looks great!