I found myself bored with nothing to do this week and it was quite disconcerting. It feels like I have space for more in my life...space for another overarching sort of project that I can research and think about and work on in the bits of time between everything else I already do...something to fill the gardening void.
What a large void that is!
I miss the garden. It stressed me out, but I loved being there and doing it. What did I love about it? What am I missing the most?
I miss the daylight. I miss the quiet work. I miss being comfortable outside. I miss seeing my efforts grow into something useful, delicious, or beautiful. That was so stinkin' fun.
*sigh*
When we drive by the "Big Garden" plot that has now been mowed down and tilled under, all I see is potential. No, it's more like I FEEL the potential. I'm clawing at the window to get out there and dig. Plant some seeds. Watch the garden unfold again. I want another chance! I learned so much last year. I've already forgotten all the bugs and plant diseases and low yields. I'm a hopeless gardening romantic.
*double sigh*
I came across a book this year that talked about modern winter gardening techniques with a short, simple frame of glass. Completely passive. The author has researched the old-fashioned French ways that provided fresh food to their markets year-round. He's collected and bred plant varieties that are EXTREMELY resistant to cold: peas, brassica greens, spinach, and especially fresh leaf lettuce. They thrive all winter with minimal protection. It's a fascinating thought. Unfortunately, to enjoy fresh salad greens all winter, you need to start them in August so they're big enough to pluck from every once in a while. I was swamped in August. No mood to prepare new garden beds and plant again. But I am NOW. And I'll remember this next August...start something for winter, anything, and my energy will come back full force in October/November. I will be craving a few plant lives to nurture.
I'm in a bit of a funk with this. I'm wondering if it's time to volunteer at a nearby CSA* Farm. They probably have work to do year-round. And it would be nice to learn how veggie gardening translates onto a larger scale. And maybe I could pick up a few tips on how to make my home garden better. It would be quite the time commitment, though. But what's the harm in asking for more info, right? It's settled :) I'm contacting them today. Let's see how this goes.
*CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. It's when people pay the farmer ahead of time for a weekly share of produce during the next growing season.
Sunday, November 12, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment