Matthew attended his first day of preschool yesterday. He was jumping excited. James felt like an awesome big brother, telling him everything he could look forward to.
Our carpool arrived and swept them away. I was the only one left home. The house was quiet. No one was interrupting me. I had a list of things I wanted to do, but without the noise and cajoling and bundling up and constant back-and-forthing with a kid, it felt kinda odd. Out of my element, but still in my house. Almost like I had forgotten how to be anything but a mom at 8:30 in the morning. I've had someone to care for at home every morning at 8:30am for the last 10+ years.
This will take some getting used to.
I went to the gym, but it was a lackluster workout. I just felt out of synch.
I visited a new thrift store near our house. I wouldn't have done that with more than one kid, so I enjoyed perusing at my own pace, but it still felt kinda hollow.
I kinda missed Matthew. I kinda wanted to see him having the time of his life at preschool. I felt like I might be squandering this time. I felt guilty for not appreciating the break.
It turns out, Matthew was a model student. He took turns, followed directions, and played well with others. He hasn't learned all the classroom routines yet, but he's eager to fully participate and he's loving all the come and go and play play play.
His second day is slated for tomorrow. It will likely to be cancelled due to extreme cold. I think he'll cry :(
As odd as Matthew's first preschool day was for me, I don't think it will stay that way for long. I'm meeting with the director of Sola Gratia Farm on Monday about some work I can do for them. They want me to do nutrition/dietetic work for them, but I don't know exactly what. Cooking classes? Handouts/articles for clients? Recipe research and development? I'm willing to help wherever I can, though my eye remains fixed on field work. I've tugged and pulled and switched and twisted my schedule to eek out about 15 hours a week of kid-free time (almost entirely between 6:00am and 11:00am during preschool days) that I can dedicate to Sola Gratia work this semester. Once the triathlon is done, I can bump that up to almost 25 hours a week. It means, of course, that I won't have as large of a personal garden this season. If any. That's okay. I'm hoping to learn more this summer in the field than 10 summers in my own garden.
Here's a movie of Matthew telling one of his stories. Usually, they're more exciting than a lonely broccoli monster in a world full of cucumber, but his environment was kinda distracting. It gives you a taste of his personality and speaking cadence. You don't have to watch all 4 minutes if you don't want to :)
Thursday, January 4, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Glad he had such a wonderful day. And you are so wise to have fun and exciting plans to fill your days hereafter, doing important things.
ReplyDelete