He's been asking about a pet. We got chickens. He LOVES the chickens. And he wants more. The rabbits in our backyard intrigue him. He's asked about pet bunnies. I remembered bunny sitting for a friend some years ago and decided to contact them about it again this summer. As luck would have it, they would be leaving town for three weeks and they needed a bunny sitter! Huzzah!
We brought the bunnies over yesterday. James is over the moon!
![]() |
| James and Pip |
![]() |
| Robert and Thunder |
![]() |
| Four kids and two bunnies in an immersive, dual-species encounter |
I'm treating the bunnies like they belong to James. He is 100% responsible for their care (with reminders as needed), including cleanup. Everyone is eager to help and play right now. What will happen by the end of three weeks? Will James' enthusiasm remain strong? Will he decide it's too much work for a 6.5-year-old? We shall see.
I do know, however, that in James' mind, this is not the end. Just this morning he asked with a grin, "Mom, do you think I'm doing a great job taking care of the bunnies?"
"Yes, James, I think you've been super responsible and mindful of their needs so far."
His grin widens, "Soooo, do you think I can get a dog after this?"
"Uhhhhhh."



Ooooooh, you knew that was coming! Bless his little loving heart.
ReplyDelete