Sunday, July 7, 2019

Future Heights

Alice seems to be growing taller a lot faster these days. I said so this morning and she pulled out the measuring tape to have a look. Yup. Five foot four inches. Being a total geek, I looked up the official CDC Growth Charts and plotted her stats: 75th percentile. Which, if she stays on that trajectory, will mean her adult height will be somewhere about 5'6". This got me curious about our boys...where might they end up? We measured them all...

Alice...64" at age 12.25...75th %ile...~5'6" adult height
Robert...56" at age 9.25...85th %ile...~6'0" adult height
James...51" at age 6.5...>95th %ile...~6'3" adult height
Matthew...43" at age 4.5...75th %ile...~5'11" adult height

And because I'm really, truly, deep down inside a complete geek, here's where their parents line up:

Bobby...5'8" adult height...20th %ile
Susan...5'7" adult height...85th %ile

I cannot imagine a family picture where all the boys are taller than me. It has only ever been stair step heights up to this point. So orderly! So perfect! Gah!

I feel like Alice has done a lot of growing in other ways recently, too. Her needs are changing. Her desires are changing. Her outlook is changing. I will always be her mother, and she will always be my daughter, but in some ways on this trip to New York, we were also friends. That was a new feeling.

IMG_20190703_110848335

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I'm 5'4"! I'm not ready for Alice to be taller than I am. And I remember when Mom and I started to be friends. It's a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete