Yup, that's how I feel loved, too :)
The carpenter has finally, finally, FINALLY finished the front room doors. James has been very interested in the whole process. He keeps tabs on the bathroom remodel, too, but not like these doors. He was eager to get them up and running asap. He expertly filled in all the nail holes with wood putty (I only did 2), sanded them smooth, and helped me tape up all the hardware. Then it was time to paint! Matthew hopped in, too, once he saw the rollers come out.
![]() |
| My proud handyman |
![]() |
| Literally helpful children. I love this growing up thing. |
![]() |
| Goofy guy |
Here, they're working on the dining room side. They followed instructions very well! They filled the rollers with paint (but not too much), applied a smooth and even coat (mopping up the bloopy bits), and managed to keep (almost) all of the paint on the drop cloth zone. James got a decent swipe in his hair somehow. He looked quite mature and distinguished at church the next day.
I love, love, love that they were excited about this. Their help was actually helpful! Both the carpenter and one of the bathroom contractors mentioned that we were pretty decent painters. Was that because their expectations were really low to begin with?? I'm glad my Dad let me paint some things with him. I know painting stresses him out, but I learned a whole lot more doing it myself with an experienced teacher than I ever would from a YouTube video. I should have spent more time plumbing with him...ugh.
I've got leeks, broccoli, and cabbage growing in my front room. Hopefully the spinach and lettuce will sprout soon. That means gardening season is creeping in again...mixed feelings...I love it and it's a whole lot of work. I've lately had to build farming/gardening into my morning routine. I never did that before. I used to get ready for the day and then try to squeeze in chicken care and planting/weeding/harvest somewhere between all the other things I do as a mom. Well, that meant chicken care and planting were always rushed, overdue, and laden with guilt. Have you ever tried to cram 3 weeks of growing into a seed you planted 3 weeks late? It doesn't happen. You HAVE to take the time to plant the seed 3 weeks ago or it won't be mature today. I'm sure there's a life lesson in there somewhere, but I won't labor the point.
Sometimes I get annoyed that the chickens or the planting is taking up so much of my quiet morning time alone. I sometimes feel that way about exercise, too. But today it occurred to me that these aren't merely chores to be rushed through so I can get on with my life. These activities are me LIVING the life I want to have. I want healthy livestock and a well-planned, productive garden. I want a strong body that can do the heavy lifting and work for hours at a time. Well, how do I get those?! Duh. I can't believe it took me this long to see it. So, now I've got a little more patience for the process :)




It's wonderful that Robert can articulate what he's feeling and understand why. So mature.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE your realization that you are living the life you want right now. It took me a lot longer to get that straight in my head.
And we are so very impressed that your boys did such a great job painting and getting the doors finished.
And Yay! for Alex getting that driving down!
We always love hearing how things are going with you all.