2# rhubarb
1/4# spinach
1/4# salad mix
1 bunch garlic chives
We used half of the garlic chives in a black bean dish served with rice. They were cooked so long in the crockpot that there was little garlic flavor by the end. I think we'll dehydrate the other half and see how that goes.
The salad mix is bold. The bugs appeared to have liked it in the field, but I'm okay with a little crop damage here and there. Makes it more real. The flavor is bold. Not spicy, not bitter, not dirty. Just bold, strong, earthy. I had to dilute the flavor with some spinach and romaine in my salad yesterday. Maybe I'll graduate to full-strength by the end of the summer :)
I'm still deciding what to do with the rhubarb. Perhaps a dessert. Perhaps jam/jelly. Perhaps it gets frozen until the strawberries ripen.
We did a CSA program last year (don't know if I mentioned that). The salad mix took a little getting used to too. But it's amazing how quickly we all got accustomed to eating kale and turnip greens what seemed to be for half our dinners. Now we're not doing the program and I'm back to a little more normal variety in vegetables, not necessarily a good thing.
ReplyDeleteI was also fine with the average holes in food, it was nothing you'd notice in taste or even in cleaning it up. But the corn was something I don't miss about the produce. Even when I'd use it right after buying, it was never sweet (though the starchy texture was creamy, still good). But there were HUGE grubs embedded in every ear, rot to cut away, ugh. I got used to it, but Mark never did. :)
Do you get to pick what you get, or do they preselect it?
This was only our first week and Bob had all the amounts of each item for each share written down. We weighed it out ourselves. I like the idea of picking what you want. Then again, I might not be so brave or adventurous that way. I don't think I would have chosen garlic chives on my own, but now I get to figure out what to do with them. Kind of fun.
ReplyDelete