Tuesday, May 6, 2008

First Scribbles

I feel kind of dumb sharing this, but it's actually REALLY exciting for me and Bobby. Alice scribbled for the first time last night. On Cinco De Mayo!

alicefirstscribble.jpg

We invited some nearby family friends over for strawberry pie and some Mother's Day card-making (for grandmas, of course). The original plan was fingerpainting, but I didn't make the paint in time and it needs time to cool. So! We brought out construction paper, glue, scissors, markers, and every sticker we could find. The kids seemed to enjoy it well enough, but I was kind of disappointed we couldn't make a bigger mess. Oh well. Maybe for Father's Day?

Bobby handed Alice a marker...or two...and let her go. She really liked it! Now each of Alice's grandmas will have a piece of that moment. We're keeping a piece for ourselves, so you grandmas shouldn't feel pressured to save it for posterity. Please don't save it unless it brings you some deep personal satisfaction.

I'm embarrassed to feel so excited about something so small. I mean, this kid is going to produce scribble after scribble after scribble. I will trash/recycle probably 90% of the artwork this kid brings home from church, school, birthday parties, summer camps, and other activities. Another 9% will probably be thrown away by the kid herself once she's old enough to inherit all her "memory boxes" from us.

But I'm so happy for her! She picked the stickers herself, made every one of those marks (most of them intentional), and each sticker is lovingly placed exactly where it fell after she flicked it or dropped it :)

It's the blessing and the curse of the first-born, I suppose. All her developmental firsts are our parental firsts. That's how it goes. Poor, poor babe.

1 comment:

  1. Yaaay, I finally registered so now I can comment :)

    This is very exciting, I agree! Yesterday I had Danny "sign" his cards to each grandma. It didn't take much convincing to get him to grab the pen, but I did most of the directing on the paper. It also took a little effort to keep the pen out of his mouth. ;-)

    We should get together sometime soon! It's croquet weather!

    ReplyDelete