Thursday, May 29, 2008

Kinder Surprise!

A former lab mate sent me a surprise package! Kinder Surprise eggs from Belgium! And a delightful Kinder-Surprise-like toy that she said reminded her of me. I absolutely adore KS eggs. A few years ago I bought a case of them from Canada and handed them out to my coworkers and friends for Christmas. Of course, I made each person open their egg as soon as I gave it to them (my passion for KS eggs would probably border on obsession if only they were easier to get in the U.S.). Here are the three little toys that were in these eggs:

Each toy has a little code you can type into the Belgian KS website for a little more info. We used an online translator to decode the French explanations. Perhaps HeidiPB and J would interpret them differently?

  • Bernard L'ermite rouge: La limace la plus paresseuse de toutes aime se reposer sur la plage


Bernard red hermit: The laziest slug of all likes to rely on the beach



  • Ovni violet: La nuit, il vole sur les pyjamas en laine des enfants les plus sympathique


Purple UFO: At night, it flies on the woolen pyjamas of the nicest children



  • Shrek est un ogre au grand coeur. Il a hâte d'échapper à la vie agitée du royaume pour retrouver une existence tranquille dans son marais avec sa femme Fiona et ses amis, Potté et l'Ane. Dans cette aventure, il va s'apercevoir qu'épouser une princesse entraîne toute une cohorte de royales responsabilités


Shrek is an ogre in the big heart. It is impatient to avoid the life agitated by the kingdom to find a quiet existence in its marsh with his wife Fiona and his friends, Potté and the Donkey. In this adventure, it is going to realize that to marry a princess draws away whole cohort of royal responsibilities.


My former lab mate remembers my little love for KS all these years later. I wonder what other people remember about me. Out of context, any small personality quirk can seem like some freakish obsession. I wonder what I'm remembering about other people...

I remember odd things about some people long after I've forgotten all the normal things. Food associations are especially memorable. Zippy chicken and the Garners. Banana pudding and my mom. Bobby and snap peas. Chard or fortune cookies and the Graberts. Rolled tacos and the Hersoms. Lentil soup or beet salad or TVP chili and Heidi.

Not everyone has a food memory in my brain, and some food memories even fade with time, but you might be surprised to learn what I remember you by.

4 comments:

  1. Funny, I never knew you liked KS eggs. Jan and I love them. The kids do too, but they almost seem wasted on kids. ;)

    I'm half-surprised to see your Grabert food memories. Chard isn't a surprise, but fortune cookies? I certainly hope it's not of homemade fortune cookies, because I have negative memories associated with those! For your family I remember roast beast (maybe just the reference to it) and banana pudding also. The pudding may be more from our roommate days, I can't quite remember. Just remember it was quite a treat because we didn't make stuff like that growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roast beast! I had forgotten about that. Ha!

    Uh, well, it IS the homemade fortune cookies that I'm thinking of...stuffed with secret messages for our not-so-secret crush objects in high school. I don't remember the cookies being that good either, but I think we still delivered them...didn't we? The memory is pleasant, even if the food item itself is pretty gross.

    Same thing with my Grandma Poulson. It was in her backyard that I was introduced to a disturbing combination of black pecan ice cream and date-filled sugar cookies. That was the first dessert I couldn't finish. Ever. I love her all the same and always will, no matter how unpleasant that particular food memory may be :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah... well... I think it was a combination of the "not-so-secret" and "stalker and obsessive" factors that make the memory a bad one for me, even if it was a good one at the time. I'm sensitive still to the embarrassment of high school. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. TVP chili? That stuff was nasty. But it was a fun experiment all the same. I'd hoped you'd remember me with good cheese and olives on Saturday and that I introduced you to the beginnings of food snobbery.

    Your online translator is pretty good, if a little comical and too literal at times. You get the general idea, though. That slug is awesome and very very Suz.

    ps., I actually came to kind of like those date-filled cookies.

    ReplyDelete