Sunday, July 27, 2008

Missing Heather Already

My sister Heather has only been gone for a couple hours, but I already miss her. She was my sister buddy growing up. We share a lot of common memories...well, the ones I remember at least. She remembers a good number of things I let slip a loooooooooong time ago, which makes conversations with her so fun and insightful. If you ever want to know what my childhood was like, ask Heather, not me.

Anyway, this visit was the first time Heather and I have been alone together as adults ("alone" meaning no other Poulson family around). I am absolutely amazed at this mature, confident, and beautiful woman that I never knew existed until now. Where have I been?! That's part of my sadness in seeing her go, I suppose. I was just starting to get to know her as an adult, as a friend: how clever, thoughtful, and observant she is, her convictions, her dreams, her capacity to love. I never saw them before now. Where did she find that graceful confidence that had her chatting and joking with my friends in a matter of minutes when it takes me years to feel that secure about anyone? What a woman. What a big sister.

sdc10006sml.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I like Heather! I'm glad you got such a good time with your sister!

    But you cut off your poor child's face there. :( We don't even get to see her smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...sounds like a great time with Heather. You are lucky to have such a great big sister.

    ReplyDelete