Monday, February 9, 2009

All in a day's work

A friend introduced me to the article below and I love the author's clear, comprehensive and yet succinct description of stay-at-home motherhood. No gushy sentimentality, no nostalgia, just the simple and sometimes overwhelming truth.

I find myself smiling at this phrase in particular: "It's resisting constant temptation to seek short-term relief at everyone's long-term expense."

Ain't that the truth.


5 comments:

  1. I love Carolyn Hax. She's my favorite advice columnist ever. I don't remember reading this one before though.

    I've been ever amazed at my friends who stay home with their kids; it looks exhausting, the constant redirecting and constant attention with never a break. I at least can usually find a quiet room for 10 minutes to collect my sanity if necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Julia, I believe you can relate to these sentiments...exhausting, constant redirecting, focused attention with little rest...in more ways than most single folks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. isn't this the complete truth. sometimes I seek short time relief at my own long term expense. great article!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Love Love this article. In fact, I am going to steal it for my next blog post (I'll link back to you).

    ReplyDelete
  5. that was really well stated! It's helped a little with the "I'm a flake guilt" I've been carring in regards to some of my friendships!!!

    ReplyDelete