Friday, February 27, 2009

A few more adventures in talking...

Alice sticks her fingers in her mouth and laughs, "I Memmer." She's pretending to be her friend Spencer J who sucks his fingers. Then she tells me I'm Memmer's mommy. This is the first time I've witnessed her role-playing as someone else I know.

When something is out of reach, Alice tells us it is "far, far, away." That gets the Christmas carol "Far, Far Away on Judea's Plain" stuck in my head every time. I sang the entire first verse to her once and she got bothered at the end saying, "Will's mommy! Will's mommy!" I then realized the last line of the carol goes, "Peace on earth, good will to men" and she thought I was playing the name game again. She wanted Will's mommy to be good the next time.

Alice skinned her knee several weeks ago and she would almost burst into tears every time she saw the scab again, even when it was clearly healing well without infection. Perhaps it was the IDEA of being hurt that caused such emotional pain? Anyway, the scab healed and the next couple times she saw her knee without the scab she proclaimed, "Ouchie all gone!" Then one day she told the whole story...

"Ah gone ouchie! Ayiss 'whoa'. Rye. Deet-do Mommy Daddy. Hudt. Ah gone ouchie. Happy Ayiss happy!"

translation: All gone ouchie! Alice fall. Cry. Mommy Daddy hold me. Hug. All gone ouchie. Happy Alice!

No comments:

Post a Comment