Thursday, September 24, 2009

Nesting instinct

I'm calling the baby a "he" today.

I've had several non-sick days this week, which means I've been able to work on "nesting" projects. The office/storage room may be the baby's new room. If so, the new babe will enjoy the unique feature of a stimulating and well-placed curtain to mask his view of hundreds of pounds of food storage and a shelf full of flashing, whirring electronics. The two kids will share a room once the new babe is sleeping well through the night (Did I just curse myself by saying that?).

Last night, Alice broke the news to Baby Cow about the baby in her tummy and the baby in my tummy. She told Baby Cow that the baby will come after Christmas and after her birthday. I asked her (through Baby Cow) what she will do when the baby comes. She said she will snuggle him and hug him and put him to bed. She giggled as she talked about it.

It occurred to me at that moment that perhaps this whole sibling relationship thing has already begun. Maybe these two kids can actually develop a positive relationship without my constant help? Maybe I was over-thinking this whole sibling thing? (*LOL* If you know me well, this behavior is no surprise)

Alice then announced that her baby and Mommy's baby were going to come tonight, instead. Baby Cow was concerned that it was too early for Mommy's baby to come (i.e. the baby didn't even have hair yet and he was just learning how to wiggle around). The notion of such profound immaturity seemed to intrigue Alice. Baby Cow explained that the baby would get bigger and bigger until Alice could finally feel him kicking around inside Mommy's tummy. I don't think she completely believed him, but she giggled again, probably at the idea that the baby was kicking and kicking with impunity. She finds other peoples' light physical pain hilarious. Real pain is NOT funny, but a bonk here and a trip there is side-splitting.

I am heartened by the ease with which Alice has taken to this baby. She seems to understand and anticipate his arrival with excitement. I have breathed several sighs of relief ever since. The worst may come yet, but the situation is already better than I had feared ;)

2 comments:

  1. Well, to begin with, congrats! It is exciting that you are expecting and I'm glad to hear that your nausea is subsiding. That is a great Baby Cow conversation with Alice. I've seen many stages in our boys' relationship already during this first year of Joshua's life (certainly due in large part to how much a baby changes in that first year) and I've wondered how much anything that I do really influences it and how much is just them learning about each other. You will have a great time seeing them grow as little friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. Congratulations, and BTW--boys are awesome! I hope you have (at least) one!

    ReplyDelete