Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Urgency of Nothing

I feel like I'm spinning my wheels, just killing time, before some gigantic event suddenly appears and changes everything I know into something new. That's no surprise, considering I'm due on Saturday, but it's surprising how much it bugs me. There's an urgency to finish something, everything, anything before the time "runs out". But how much time do I have?

All I REALLY want to do is go through hours of labor and get this baby thing started. All the other tasks on my to-do list just don't excite me anymore. I'm listless and tense at the same time. So odd. How will this labor play out? How much time will we have to make arrangements for Alice? How much will it hurt? How on earth will I wrap my brain around another kid...is there room in my foggy, hormone-laden brain for another little life? Will I remember how to take care of a newborn? To take care of myself?

I also have a hard time thinking that it will actually happen. I've spent so long now waiting for it, expecting it, setting my own due dates for it that come and go, that I'm starting to believe it might never come. Somehow, the possibility of it coming seems just as likely as the possibility of it NEVER coming.

Such a strange mindset to exist in...

3 comments:

  1. Well you could always schedule your visiting teaching appointments for the day you want to have the baby. My children always seemed to think those appointment days were the best to come to light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so exicted for this baby to come! I can't wait to meet him and see how he fits in with your lovely family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're so excited to have Alice come and stay with us whenever Zurg decides to make his appearance. And anything else that you need don't hesitate to ask. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete